Terms and conditions
(a) These terms and conditions govern your use of this website and the International Division membership service supplied to you through this website.
(b) We are the Law Society. Our principle place of business is situated at 113 Chancery Lane , London WC2A 1PL .
The contract between us
1. We must receive payment of the whole price of the membership that you order before your order can be accepted. Once payment has been received by us we will confirm whether your order has been accepted by sending to you an email confirmation and copy of your invoice at the email address specified in your registration information. Our acceptance of your order constitutes a legally binding contract between us. We reserve the right to refuse any order at our sole discretion or to cancel your membership at any point during your membership year. The use of any promotional code is subject to the rules of the relevant promotion.
UK corporate, affiliate corporate, super corporate and affiliate super corporate membership
2. A corporate membership applies to situations where an organisation or firm purchases multiple memberships to the International Division for individuals. Up to ten registrations at UK corporate level, 5 at affiliate corporate level and up to 100registrations at super corporate level. The affiliate super corporate membership – we will agree membership terms with the organisation taking out affiliate super corporate membership on a case by case basis. The number of registrations included with this membership will be discussed and agreed as part of the membership package.
3. We must receive payment by cheque, or authorisation to invoice for the whole price of the membership that you order before your order can be accepted. Once payment/authorisation has been received by us we will confirm whether your order has been accepted by sending an email to you at the email address specified in your registration information. Our acceptance of your order constitutes a legally binding contract between us. We reserve the right to refuse any order at our sole discretion or to cancel your membership at any point during your membership year.
4. You are responsible for any breach of these terms and conditions occasioned by any individual member.
5. The pricing bands for membership of the International Division are set out in this website. Further breakdown and explanation of pricing structure is available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
6. All prices are expressed exclusive of any VAT payable unless otherwise stated.
7. Your credit/debit card details will be encrypted to minimize the possibility of unauthorized access or disclosure. Authority for payment must be given at the time of placing your order. The cost of your order includes a transaction fee that is payable to ePDQ.
International Division Membership
8. Individual members: your membership commences from the point at which an email confirming receipt of your payment is sent to you.
Corporate members: your membership commences from the point at which our email is sent to your nominated account holder with your password and log-in. Membership is annual.
9. What your membership will entitle you to is set out in this website.
10. All updates and membership information will be sent via email. These emails will be sent to you at the email address specified in your registration information. We can accept no responsibility if you do not update your registration information with your current email address or (because of the nature of email communications) if these emails do not reach you for some other reason.
11. We are continually seeking to improve the membership service. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to make changes to any part of the membership service provided that it does not materially reduce its content or the benefits under it.
Password and security
12. You (and in the case of corporate membership, all individual users) must keep the password and any promotional code confidential and must not disclose them or share them with anyone. If you (and in the case of corporate membership, any individual user) knows or suspects that someone else knows the password or (if applicable) any promotional code we should be notified immediately by contacting us at email@example.com.
Availability of the International Division website
13. We will use all reasonable skill and care in making the website available to you and in ensuring its availability. However, because of the nature of the Internet, errors and omissions do occur, and we do not give any warranties in respect of the availability of the website.
14. Individual members: Once you receive an email confirming receipt of payment your membership is active and we are not able to cancel your payment or offer a refund.
Corporate members: Once we send you an email with your password and log-in your membership is active and we are not able to cancel your payment or offer a refund.
15. Your membership may be terminated by written notice if you are in material breach of these terms and conditions and the breach is not remedied within a period of 7 days after written notice of the breach has been given to you. If we reasonably believe your breach of these terms and conditions affects our lawful operation of the International Division website we may suspend your membership at any time.
15a. Your membership may be terminated by us immediately on written notice to you at any time.
Forum Rules and LinkedIn groups
16. Your user name will be used to identify you in online forum areas and in the online directories. Be creative with your user name by all means but vulgar or offensive names will constitute a breach of these terms and conditions. If you are offended by another user’s screen name, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Similarly, if you are unsure about whether a username you would like to use may breach these terms and conditions, please email us at email@example.com for advice.
17. All data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other materials (“content”), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom the content originated. This means that you are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or email via our forum areas and our website. We do not control the content posted via any forum area and therefore do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of the content.
18. Under no circumstances will we be liable in any way for any content, including (without limitation) any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of your use of any content. You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of any content, including any reliance on its accuracy or completeness. You also understand that by using our forum areas and our website there is a chance that you may be exposed to content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable.
19. You agree that you will not use any forum area or any part of our website to:
- upload, post or email any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- harm minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity, falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with or entity or disguise the origin of any content;
- ‘stalk’ or otherwise harass another;
- collect or store personal data about other users;
- upload, post or email any content when you do not have a right to do so;
- upload, post or email any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional material, ‘junk mail’, spam’, ‘chain letters’, or any other form of solicitation;
- upload, post or email any content that contains computer viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to ‘scroll’ faster than other users of a chat area are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users’ ability to engage in real time exchanges; or
- violate any applicable national or international laws or regulations.
20. You acknowledge that we do not pre-screen content but that we shall have the right (though not the obligation) in our sole discretion to move, modify or remove any content that is available on or via any forum area or our website generally.
21. If you witness any breaches of these forum rules in the forum areas or anywhere else in our website, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
22. On being aware of any breaches of these forum rules we may ban, delete or prohibit any content that relates to those breaches or that we judge harmful to individuals or ourselves or any of our officers, servants or agents.
23. We reserve the right to take whatever action we deem necessary to prevent such breaches including the following:
- breaches we deem minor may result simply in receipt of a warning; or
- breaches we deem serious may result in your automatic ban from our forum areas and termination of your membership.
24. All incidents will be logged and our decision will be final in all cases.
25. Any breaches may result in us reporting your activates (to your internet service provider, your employer or relevant authorities), to legal action being taken against you, or to both.
26. In addition we may at any time move, modify or remove any content or take any further legal action as a result of breaches or suspected breaches of these rules or any applicable rules or regulations or where our rights or third party rights are threatened or infringed.
27. You grant us a worldwide, royalty free, irrevocable, non-exclusive license (including the right to sub-license) to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display any content (in whole or in part) you upload, post or email and/or to incorporate such content in other works in any form, media or technology now know or developed in the future.
28. You agree to indemnify and hold us and our officers, servants and agents harmless from or against any direct or indirect loss or damage (including consequential loss and loss of profits, goodwill or business opportunities arising from any third party claim in relation to any content you upload, post or email on or through any forum areas or our website, your use of the forum areas and our website, or your breach of provisions [16-28] within these terms and conditions.
29. All online profiles and the information contained within them are the sole responsibility of the person or organisation from whom they originate. This means that you are entirely responsible for your online profile and the information contained within it. We do not control the information contained within online profiles and therefore do not guarantee their accuracy and can accept no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the person or organisation whose profile it is.
In order to set up any corporate account it is necessary for us to create a very basic profile and publish this in the Firm Directory. It is the responsibility of the nominated account holder to verify that this information is accurate and then to edit or update themselves once in receipt of a username and password.
30. Under no circumstances will we be liable in any way for any online profile, including (without limitation) any errors or omissions in respect of the information contained within it, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of your reliance upon any information contained within it. You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of information contained within any online profile, including any reliance on its accuracy or completeness.
31. You agree that the information you upload into your online profile will be accurate to the best of your knowledge and does not violate any applicable national or international laws or regulations.
32. You agree and acknowledge that your online profile and the information contained within it will be freely available on the website and may be seen by any person visiting the website.
Links to third party websites
33. This website includes links to other websites or material which are beyond our control. We are not responsible for the content on any website outside of this website.
34. All copyright, rights in trade marks and all other intellectual property rights in this website, (including the questions featured on the Website, the website design, text and graphics) are owned by or licensed to the Law Society or otherwise used by the Law Society as permitted by law.
35. You (and in the case of corporate membership, the individual users that you specify you wish to have access to the website) may retrieve and display the content of this website on a computer screen, but may not otherwise reproduce or transmit the content in any form or by any means without the prior written permissions of the owner of the rights in the content.
36. Any permissions relating to the content of this website should be addressed to us in writing by emailing: email@example.com or writing to us at: International Department, The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane , London WC2A 1PL
37. International Division members may state on their website and publicity/marketing materials that they are members of ‘The International Division of the Law Society of England and Wales’ but they must not use any other intellectual property of ours, including the Law Society coat of arms logo, without our prior written consent. Members may link to our website, but must link to our homepage and not to their entry in one of the membership directories, and must link from a website owned by them. If you exercise the permissions given in this Clause 37 then you must do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, or suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists. We reserve the right to withdraw any permissions given in this Clause 37 without notice.
38. Although we aim to offer you the best service possible, we make no promise that membership of the International Division will meet all your requirements.
39. We cannot guarantee that this website will be fault free. If a fault occurs you should report it to us by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will attempt to correct the fault as soon as we reasonably can.
40. We continually seek to improve this website and reserve the right, at our discretion, to make changes to any part of it provided that it does not materially reduce its content or functionality.
41. If we are in breach of these terms and conditions, we will only be responsible for any losses that you suffer as a result of that breach to the extent that such losses are a foreseeable consequence to both of us at the time you use the International Division website and/or any International Division membership service. Our liability shall not in any event include business losses such as lost profits, time, revenue, goodwill, business, data or anticipated savings.
42. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall limit or affect our liability if something we do negligently causes death or personal injury.
43. We may update these terms and conditions from time to time for legal or regulatory reasons, to allow the proper provision of the International Division membership services, or to allow the proper operation of this website. Any changes will be notified to you via the email address specified in your registration details or via a suitable announcement on this website. The changes will apply after we have given notice.
44. If you have any complaints, please send them to us at the address given above. We would like to hear from you so we can improve our service.
45. You may not transfer any of your rights under these terms and conditions to any other person. We may transfer our rights under these terms and conditions where we reasonably believe your rights will not be affected.
46. If you breach these terms and conditions and we choose to ignore this, we will still be entitled to use our rights and remedies at a later date or in any other situation where you breach the terms and conditions.
47. We shall not be responsible for any breach of the terms and conditions caused by circumstances beyond our reasonable control.
48. A person who is not a party to this contract (including any individual accessing this website under corporate membership) shall have no right under the UK Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any term of this contract. This does not affect any right or remedy of a person who is not a party to this contract that exists or is available apart from that Act.
49. These conditions shall be subject to the laws governing England. We will try to resolve any disagreements quickly, but if you are not happy with the way we deal with any disagreement and you want to take court proceedings, you must do so within England.