UKTI launches guide for overseas law firms setting up in UK
UK Trade & Investment has launched a handbook for overseas law firms who want to set up an office in the UK. The UK is a leading international law centre. It is home to three of the four largest law firms in the world (measured by revenue) and plays host to hundreds of law firms from other jurisdictions.
The guide covers:
- the legal system and legal profession in England and Wales
- practising law in England and Wales
- practice issues for foreign lawyers in England and Wales
- becoming a solicitor
- opening an office in England and Wales
- complying with UK business regulations
- employment in the UK
- immigration to the UK
The Law Society president provides an introduction to the guide: "England and Wales is open for legal business. We welcome lawyers from other jurisdictions to our shores, whether on a temporary or permanent basis, whether they want to practise as lawyers under their home title or whether they want to requalify as English solicitors."