Join our trade mission to São Paulo, 22 - 24 October
The Law Society and UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) are planning a trade mission to São Paulo to promote UK-Brazil legal links and business. The mission, led by the Law Society president, will include a conference, networking reception and facilitated business development meetings with top Brazilian and Latin American law firms.
It has been timed to coincide with the Lord Mayor's visit to Brazil so we expect there to be other events at this time which our trade mission delegates can attend.
There will be optional activities in Rio de Janeiro for firms wishing to travel on following the São Paulo programme.
Why join our trade mission?
- Market intelligence: attend an arrival briefing with trade and investment experts from the British Consulate-General in São Paulo.
- Profile raising: your firm and contact details will feature in a trade mission brochure sent to local firms ahead of the visit to arrange one-to-one business development meetings.
- Networking: meet with top Brazilian law firms and business at a reception hosted by the British Consul-General to which you can invite up to five contacts.
- Speaking opportunities: join a panel at a dispute resolution conference organised by the Law Society and Bar Council, and opened by the Lord Mayor of the City of London*.
- Pre-arranged programme and logictics: with support from a UKTI International Trade Adviser.
Outline programme, 22 - 24 October
- 22 October: Arrival briefing with UK Trade & Investment: on opportunities for UK law firms and their clients in Brazil.
- 23 October: ‘Doing business in Brazil’ seminar and reception hosted by Gaudêncio, McNaughton e Toledo
- 24 October: UK - Latin America legal services event: conference focused on 'Unlocking Disputes' in England and Wales and London as a global centre for dispute resolution.
- Networking reception: at the British Consul General's residence with São Paulo law firms and businesses interested in the UK.
This is an opportunity for UK firms to raise their profile in Latin America and develop contacts with leading firms in the region.
To register your interest in joining our delegation to São Paulo, speaking at the event or sponsorship opportunities contact Charlotte Ford, Policy Adviser - Americas, at the Law Society: firstname.lastname@example.org.
London-based UK law firms may be eligible for a grant of £600 per firm from UKTI London if they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- The firm is a Small or Medium Enterprise (SME). Your business is defined as ‘small’ or ‘medium’ if it has less than 250 employees (not just partners) and either an annual turnover not exceeding €50m or an annual balance sheet total not exceeding €47m.
- The firm is “New to Export” or has been exporting for less than 10 years. Your business is defined as a “New to Export” if, during the previous 12 months, less than 10% of your turnover results from proactive exports and no more than 25% of your turnover results from a combination of proactive and reactive exports.
- The firm is “new” to the Brazilian market. Your business is defined as “new to market” if it has not exported to the market (which may be any market where UKTI has a presence) within the previous 12 months and does not have established representation there.
Firms based outside of London in the South East of England may also be able to claim a grant subject to the availability of funds. For more information on the grants please contact email@example.com.
Project part financed by the European Union.
* Places on the panels are limited and participating firms will be asked for a £250 + VAT contribution to contribute to seminar costs. Priority for places on the panels will go to members of the Law Society’s International Division and The City UK legal services group.